Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Welcome to Bitstream of Consciousness

This blog will be a journal of my habits in playing video games. Each post title will consists of the name of the game and approximately where I am or what I have done in the game. The contents of the post may be impressions of the game, why I am playing it, or anything else I come up with. Hopefully blogger beta's labels will allow me to make a really good database so, for instance, you can see all SNES games I have written about. There also hopefully won't be many non-game related posts like this one.

Ah, so that's the what. Why a game journal? It all boils down to this: I have Attention Deficit Disorder for games.

When I was young, I would get, at most 5 new games a year. Usually it was closer to 3. This meant that there was a limit to what I could play on my Nintendo Entertainment System. Because of this, I would really focus on each game. There was nothing else for me to do but devote my efforts to beating Ninja Gaiden or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had help from various game magazines like Nintendo Power or Game Players, but that still meant that my time was devoted to beating these games.

Now that I am older and have more disposable income, I have almost every Nintendo game I ever wanted. Not to mention Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation, and Gameboy game. So, I seem to start playing one game, lose interest in it, and then move onto another. I rarely end up playing a game to its completion anymore. I have to motivate myself to explore everything about a game and just get through it. Also, most older games had no way to save your progress, so I really have to have several hours to devote to a game if I want to finish it. (Yes, I realize this is an argument for emulators, but those just aren't the same for me.)

This game journal is meant to help in my motivation to fully explore each game I play. By writing down my thoughts that come up when I play a game, I hope to keep my interest alive. As I go through a game, there will be impressions, memories, and probably an eventual review for each game. I don't promise that I won't skip around - in fact I'm sure that I will eventually do that - but this journal will help get me back on track with where I was.

No comments: