Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix - Beat the game

So, the point of this journal is to share my thoughts as I am going through a game and talk about the beginning, middle, and end. Unfortunately, I happened to start it right when I am at the end of two games so it looks like I just make an entry after beating the game. I assure you this isn't the case. In Soul Blazer I started that night half way through the second-to-last level. With this game, I was right at the end of Glas' flashback sequence.*

This is definitely one of those games I beat only because I am somewhat obsessive about beating all the games I own. I played the first Fear Effect and found it decidedly mediocre. It held my interest enough to play through, but by the end I was doing it just to get to the end. I don't know if I started playing this game because I wanted to see if the sequel was any better or I wanted to see the continued story or... who am I kidding, I think the only reason I played this is to see what all the lesbianism was about. Well, it wasn't that special and this game is also mediocre (though I don't remember the mechanical insect cunnilingus referred to in the IGN review).

I'll do a review of the game in my next post, but I wanted to touch on the differences between the first game and this one. It isn't worth my effort to review the first game, but you can rest easy in knowing it would get the same review score I will give this one. The graphics in the second Fear Effect do seem slightly improved, but the story is so convoluted and ridiculous that I didn't bother following it and the puzzles seem a bit more arbitrary, so all-in-all, it's a wash.

*For those curious about other games in my pipeline and where I am in them:
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 3 - Fighting the astronaut/pyromaniac
SNES: Cybernator - I can get to the last level using all the continues
SNES: Super Punch-Out - I've been trying to beat this for awhile, but my reflexes just don't seem to be good enough for the second-to-last guy
GEN: Phantasy Star II - I can get through the last dungeon to the boss, but he kills me every time
GBA: Fire Emblem - I just finished the mission where you get the girl from the spy organization
DS: Contact - I just posted on this

No comments: