Sunday, December 17, 2006

Cybernator - Beat the game

This game really grew on me as I played it. At first, I just found it kind of average. Of course, at first I played it without realizing what all the controls did. So at first I was just playing around with a limited subset of the game. Once you realize that the game is much more than jumping and shooting, what with rushing, being able to hold your shot angle while moving, shielding yourself, etc. That along with the different weapons you can use and the fact that while you don't have tight play control, it makes sense because you are controlling a huge mech and the momentum should keep you going and prevent you from stopping on a dime.

The final boss was especially very cool - so huge it took up three screens, different parts to destory, and patterns that are learnable but not too easy to dodge.

One thing I do wish is that the story hadn't been so obviously cut on this game. Yeah, too much talking can be frustrating in a game like this, but the half-assed translation and obvious cutting of dialog makes it more annoying. I want more of the romance behind Crea and Jake. I want to care more about Apollo when he dies. And I would love to see the ending seen that was cut from the US version, but I've heard it was too violent to make it past Nintendo's censorship policy at the time.

Anyway, this is the second solid SNES game I have played since starting this journal. Never having had a Super Nintendo, I'm really loving the system. The graphics are crisp and sharp (especially in S-Video) and there are some quality games I missed out on. Yes, I still haven't played some of the big ones like Super Metroid or The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, so I have a lot to look forward to.

No comments: