Friday, April 6, 2007

Shadow of the Colossus - Defeated the fifth Colossus

I think I already mentioned that the battles in this game are epic. It bears repeating. While the first colossus is a bit bigger than you and the second is more of the same with a slightly different strategy, by the third colossus, you truly feel miniscule in relation to them - heck, you run up its club after it swings at you so you can even get near its arm. The fifth colossus battle was truly amazing. It is a bird and you must leap on its back and hold on tight as it soars through the air. The designer's did a great job of making you feel like you were on a flying beast as it dips and turns and the air rushes past you.

I'm wondering when more of the story will come into the game. After the expository opening, that you brought the girl here to revive her and that the strange voices in the temple tell you that with your special sword, you can bring her soul back by defeating all sixteen colossi, I've gotten nothing. Don't get me wrong, I like the subtlety of the spirits of the dead colossi that surround you after you defeat one and that after the fourth one was killed, your horse went up to the girl and sniffed at her. I also get the emotional weight that goes with felling these beasts. They seem not evil, but more like forces of nature and you are destroying them. It is more like felling an ancient tree than beating a bad guy. But I've read a bit more of the story and I wonder when I'll find out the circumstances of why the girl was killed.

No comments: